Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Todd had studied and studied how the chandelier was wired and when he had a plan in his head, he removed the old worn and damaged electrical wire.
So, then I had a naked frame with years of grime to remove. I started cleaning with the least abrasive method, Dawn detergent and water - not very effective. I tried an ammonia solution, toothpaste, Barkeepers Friend but the best method was scrubbing with a Brillo pad. I could have used a finer steel wool, but liked that the soap in it helped break down the grime. This was a very messy undertaking even though I had the frame straddled over the kitchen sink.
|Rub 'n Buff|
I chose the silver leaf because it is easy to use, you just put some on your finger and rub it on. It cleans up easily and cures to a nice finish and it doesn't tarnish.
We are very pleased with the result. The frame is a nice silver color that will really shine when we reattach the crystal and rosettes.